Isn’t that the very question what this blog is about to me?
Seth Godin just posted an opportunity that has me seething at the edges for its possibilities. Change your life.
He is offering a six month intensive study onsite with him outside of NYC starting January ’09. I’ve been talking change for a while, but this is something I could barely fathom coming my way. It is the opportunitiy of the moment.
I have reservations about my qualifications – hell, I barely feel qualified to do half the work I do when I get that work – yet I refuse to count myself out before it is even decided.
I’m new to this game but that just means I’m fresh to the track.
I said I’m up for a challenge, are you? Join me and apply.
When someone asks you if you have a plan, a “long-term plan” for what you want to do with your life, do you have an answer?
I stumbled through something like an explanation but really I don’t have one.
I have this goal to live my life the way I want to – without the limitations of what is expected – but it seems to mean I am always questioning what it is that I do. I want to do so many things but I never feel that what I do defines me, no less what I do for money; so when I’m asked if I have a plan I don’t really have a good answer. My answer should perhaps be – “yes, as of yet, always mutable and changing” – easy and straightforward right?
Perhaps I should go with a list of things I will do – they are all planned in some stage or another.
Things I do and will do in the future:
- Dance – whether this is teaching, performing or competing, this is my passion, my art and my life blood. I will always dance.
- Learn – I always want to learn new things, whether it is SEO, direct marketing, grammar and syntax, Adobe Illustrator, PHP, tap dance, wines, cooking… I will always be thrilled to add another skill to my repertoire.
- Technology – as a techonology hobbyist I am intrigued by all things related to new technologies, whether mobile phones (my iphone), laptops, new iterations of the latest Open Source Software, and more.
- Information – I want to work with information – I want to work with the flow of information, how it can be structured, shaped and inverted, how it can be a catalyst for change.
- Design – I want to work with design, whether it is with information architecture , the design of physical objects, the design of digital visualizations, etc., the design mentality appeals to me in its form and function. It facilitates a creative yet technical production. A joining of two halves of my interest.
- Green – I am fascinated by the green movement and I feel deeply motivated to leave a better future for those around me, for those who will come after me, and for my own future. This can easily be wedded to green technology, green information systems, and much more. This is easily tied into my consistent mind of social responsibility, green is much more than just an environmental practice but an entire restructuring of the social, economic and political system which place at their core the bettering of humanity for both a short term and long term vitality.
- Live Well – I am not frugal, I do not plan to be. I want to live my life to the fullest of its potential. This includes enjoying good wine, good food, good people and good experiences. I don’t need the 150$ bottle of wine, but I’d rather have a glass of wine with dinner than go without it to save 10-20$. I won’t compromise my quality of life now for some unknown better life in the future.
My goals in life aren’t necessarily connected to what I will do for money nor are they separate. Perhaps my goal is to integrate what I will do with a fiscally sustainable plan that facilitates the pursuit, without the excessive waste of time, of my interests, whether they will earn me money or they will provide me with the excitement, fullfillment and life I desire.